UN-Habitat Job Islamabad, Graphics / Web Designer
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.UN-Habitat’s unique niche as an important United Nations agency in the humanitarian arena is through its focus on housing, land and settlement planning. UN-Habitat prioritizes resilience and good practices that reduce vulnerabilities and risks before and after disasters.
UN-Habitat renewed its presence in Pakistan in late 2005 following the devastating earthquake in the north of the country, facilitating the reconstruction of over 460,000 houses. In addition to the on-going projects in the field of slum improvements and water and sanitation in informal settlements with focus on gender mainstreaming, UN-Habitat Pakistan has been actively engaged in relief and emergency operations, in support of government institutions and partners, to provide assistance in flood-affected areas. It had very extensive programmes in 2010, 2011 and 2012, responding to the countrywide floods in those years. It has presently shelter, humanitarian water and sanitation responses in KP, FATA, Baluchistan and Sindh. Slum improvement interventions with an emphasis on WASH and community infrastructure are currently undertaken in Karachi and in Hyderabad, with the purpose to reduce the incidence of polio and in Jacobabad for provision of urban basic services. In addition, district-level vulnerability assessments were carried out in Baluchistan and Sindh and currently in KP on DRR and resilience in the context of climate change. UN-Habitat has been supporting the association of municipal water and sanitation (WASA) operators, which have a secretariat in Punjab province. UN-Habitat is also actively engaged in providing humanitarian support, through shelter, WASH and community infrastructure to Afghan refugees and ‘temporarily dislocated persons’/internally displaced population in KP and FATA.
At present, UN-Habitat is the lead co-convenor of Strategic Priority Area on DRR/DRM of the One-UN Pakistan Programme 2013-2017 and is actively represented in the Shelter, WASH and Community Restoration clusters in KP & FATA.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Country Programme Manager and direct supervision of the BCC Officer and in close coordination with the Technical and Operations teams in Islamabad and field offices, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
– As part of the Communications and Advocacy Team, assist in preparing public information material and communication plan related to UN-Habitat activities for distribution and information outreach campaign to government, donors, partners and media.
– Lead the design and layout of mass information and communication materials in suitable format and languages to be disseminated through possible media channels (e.g. press releases, articles, newsletters, leaflets, posters and banners).
– Support to establishing and maintaining links and coordination with existing public information channels in the country and field offices for widest possible dissemination of accurate information to target population.
– Liaise closely with the United Nations Information Center (UNIC) and represent UN-Habitat at the Communications Group meetings (UNCG), as required.
– Manage information on UN-Habitat’s intranet and website including their update and maintenance.
– Assist in developing simplified communication and reporting tools taking into account UN-Habitat’s Branding Manual and Communication Guidelines.
– Ensure that all communication materials, as appropriate, are cleared by the Country Program Manager. All materials, graphics, and products prepared by a contractor hired by UN-Habitat shall belong to and remain the property of UN-Habitat.
– Attend events that require high visibility of UN-Habitat and ensure photo documentation and maintain a library of all photos (i.e., photo bank) and other related communication materials.
– Effectively respond to inquiries for public information and communication materials.
Compile and ensure quality design and layout of technical and project reports (progress and final/completion) from the field and Islamabad-based technical team on regular basis.
– Ensure adherence to UN-Habitat’s operational policies, procedures and standards of conduct.
– Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Graphic Designing, Communications, Social Sciences or other relevant field with minimum 3 years relevant experience.
– Experience in designing reports, websites and developing info graphs.
– Strong communication skills (particularly in both English and Urdu) and must be able to express ideas and concept clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
– Excellent reporting, time and resource management, interpersonal, business communication, and advanced computing skills including MS-Office applications, SharePoint, website development and maintenance, and other media channels.
– Knowledge of UN rules and regulations is an advantage.
– Knowledge of local area and community is essential.
– Ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions.
– Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standards.
– Ability of work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues.
– Displays culture, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
– Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
– Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UN-Habitat practice areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
– Ability to work with minimal supervision.
– Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback.
– Builds strong relationship with clients and external actors.
– Proficiency in English and Urdu is essential. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
Contract & Duration:
– UNOPS LICA-4, Seven(7) months, renewable subject to availability of funds.