United Nations Development Programme Job Peshawar, Communications Analyst
Background In 2012, UNDP began implementation of a rule of law program in the post-crisis area of Malakand Division, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP). Based out of Peshawar, the program is currently in the process of expanding its remit to include three additional districts in KP as well maintaining program activity in all 7 districts of Malakand Division. The program is unique for having a 25% cost-sharing agreement with the KP Provincial Government for its entire budget, indicative of strong government commitment and partnership. The Program is funded by the Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC), Kingdom of Netherlands (EKON) as well as UNDP funding. Most recently, the EU has committed funds to the areas of policing and alternative dispute resolution (ADR), starting in 2015.
The Strengthening the Rule of Law Program (SRLP) is oriented around four main and reinforcing goals: (i) enhancing access to justice and legal aid; (ii) building the capacity of courts for greater service delivery; (iii) supporting ‘informal’ justice mechanisms to provide just and speedy services (e.g. ADR); and (iv) strengthening police and prosecution capacity.With this context in mind, the Program will require a strong Communications Analyst to support ensuring adequate communications expertise both within and external to the program (e.g. ensuring ‘change messaging’ is adequately included in and about program interventions). Such work will require working closely with national partners and donor partners.
Functions / Key Results Expected:
Under the guidance of the Chief Technical Specialist, the Communications Analyst will work closely with programme teams on the following:
– Undertake media engagement and per the joint EU-UNDP Program ‘Communication and Visibility Strategy’ for outputs concerning policing and ADR
– Advise on how interventions concerning public communication and awareness raising within program outputs can be improved and maximized for effectiveness
– Producing and documenting program and results for success stories as well as presentations as requested
– Track program-related press coverage
– Producing high quality documentaries/ video films;
– Writing scripts for radio stories including documentary and interview formats;
– Developing photo reportage for the Program.
– Provide Scripting stories for video and radio in both English and Urdu. Preparing subtitles in English and Urdu;
– Developing and implementing dissemination plans for video and audio and other multimedia products;
– Linking products with ongoing advocacy work including social media;
– Ensuring regular inputs to UNDP global youtube/vimeo channels and other broadcasters;
– Undertaking any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
– High quality advice and lead support for the implementation of EU-UNDP Joint Program ‘Communication and Visibility Strategy’
– Produce high quality press releases
– High quality advice and support for program implementation from a communications perspective
– Regularly updating the UNDP Pakistan Website
– Updating program briefs as well as preparing/revising program info graphics as well as presentations
– Updates program management on tracking program-related media coverage
– Arranging media visits to program sites
– Produce compelling radio stories for UN Radio, Pakistan radio channels, etc
– Dissemination plans for various communication products created
– Develop photo/video/ audio archive for the Country Office
Perform any other tasks as assigned by SRLP’s Chief Technical Specialist for achieving program results.
The responsibilities may vary from time to time as per the need of the project.
– Be able to produce high quality written work in English, Urdu and preferably Pashto for a range of audience
– Must be ready for frequent travel to program areas (Malakand Division, Southern KP, etc).
– Must be able to work with national partners as well as international partners as needed
– Must maintain gender-sensitivity and inclusion in all efforts
– Well proven and demonstrated capacity and experience in the field of video documentation;
– Well proven and demonstrated creativity in producing highly engaging products;
– Ability to cover several simultaneous requests including in-house and field work;
– Excellent communications skills and ability to write compelling scripts in Urdu and English; shooting videos and editing
– Ability to set clear time plans and well scheduled work processes;
– Passion for documenting development issues;
– Previous experience working with a UN agency or in the field of development is an asset.
– Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
– Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
– Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Communication skills and ability to speak and write clearly and effectively; listens to others, tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Uses good judgment in applying expertise to complex and/or sensitive issues.
Conceptual and creative thinking to focus on impact and results and to develop practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; builds and sustains relationships with key constituents.
Recruitment Qualifications & Experience:
– Minimum 2 years of experience in television journalism, radio, electronic media)
– Experience in developing in-house photography/video material.
– Demonstrated experience in developing content that clearly communicates development ideas and experience for media, web, print production and audio visual productions.
– Supports and leads the team throughout the production process, which includes creating graphics;
– Willingness to travel to field sites in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa as required and skills to produce stories and footages in a challenging environment.
– Previous work experience with UN agencies preferred.
– Competent with office software packages including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe In-design, power-point & excel.
An excellent command of English and Urdu is required. Pashto is highly.